Do You Need Something To Pray For?
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.— Psalm 46:1
Today marks the 63 st annual National Day of Prayer. Cities and churches throughout the nation will hold prayer gatherings to recognize God’s goodness and to thank Him for the many blessings He has poured on America. Millions will gather to seek His guidance and protection for our national and local leaders, our communities, and our families.
On February 19, 1795, President George Washington proclaimed a day of public thanksgiving, and since that time there have been many days of national prayer in America. In 1952 Congress established an official National Day of Prayer, and in 1988 set aside the 1st Thursday in May for that purpose.
The NDP theme for 2014 is “One voice, united in prayer,” based on Romans 15:6: “That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Ephesians 4 makes clear that the Church is a body, and if we are all moved by the same Spirit, we will function smoothly with the same heart of God.
“We have lost many of our freedoms in America because we have been asleep,” The Pensacola News Journal relayed a reminder from NDP Chairman Shirley Dobson. “If we do not become involved and support the annual NDP, we could end up forfeiting this freedom, too.”
God still works in human lives. He is ever in the miracle business, and our prayers can indeed have an impact on the hearts and minds of those human beings who walk in the halls of government. Faith still moves mountains. [See links below for some encouragement.]
Need Something To Pray For?
- Pray for Government: From the President and Congress and Supreme Court down to our local mayors and town councils, our government officials need prayer for guidance and wisdom. Whether or not we agree with them politically, these men and women are in positions of authority, and they need our prayers, not just on Thursday, but constantly.
- Pray for Military: There are plenty of miracle stories among America’s soldiers about times they’ve witnessed amazing protection during deadly situations. Keep praying for our soldiers on the field as well as for their leadership all the way up to the decision-makers in the Pentagon. Also remember the families of the fallen, who continue to grieve long after the battles are over.
- Pray for Media: We need an honest and unbiased media in America that will give straight-forward news. We also need to pray for righteous role models in the sports and entertainment industries. Pray for America’s heart to be moved regarding these things.
- Pray for Business: This means far more than praying for the economy. We need to pray for honest and ethical behavior in American companies. The United States is a nation of business, and righteous and wise business practices lead to prosperity just as corruption and greed have led to destruction.
- Pray for Education: A knowledge of the Bible was once considered an integral part of education, and literacy was vital to being able to read God’s Word. That attitude has completely changed in our education system, and despite vast amounts of money and effort, our schools are riddled with apathy, illiteracy, and violence. We need to pray for the students in our schools as well our teachers and the policy makers who affect education decisions.
- Pray for Church: Our pastors and their families need constant, daily prayer. They need to be able to lead their local bodies through the strength and guidance of the Holy Spirit, and they need protection and encouragement in the midst of constant stresses and temptations. We also need to pray for the Church across America and across the world. We are a Body, and when one member is hurting, we all suffer. We need to care for one another.
- Pray for Family: We were all raised by somebody. Family is the foundation of society, and if our homes are filled with abuse and neglect, our country is in serious trouble. We need to pray for loving marriages in America. We need our homes to be places where parents practice what they preach and demonstrate to children how wise and healthy decisions are made.
Please prepare to join others in your city or church, or start your own prayer gathering. There are prayer events being held in communities from Seattle to Washington DC and from Los Angeles to Augusta to Ft. Lauderdale. Prayer warriors are meeting at city halls and parks, schools and military bases, prisons and homeless shelters and even gas stations! Gather wherever you can, and join hearts with other believers to seek God for our nation, our communities and our families.
The World trusts in riches and power and prestige, but these things are temporary and can be lost in a day — as we have seen repeatedly in recent years. Only God is always faithful. Only God is holy and incorruptible. Only God can provide real safety and strength. Only God gives us true hope.
Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore.— Psalms 86:11–12