An Original + I Shall Not Want


An Original
Bayless Conley

 1 Samuel 15:19-24 and 24 provide us with real insight into an area of anxiety for many people.  One that may control your life today.

This is Samuel talking to Saul,

"Why then did you not obey the voice of the LORD?  Why did you swoop down on the spoil, and do evil in the sight of the LORD?"

Saul gives his answer in verse 24,

Then Saul said to Samuel, "I have sinned, for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD and your words, because I feared the people and obeyed their voice."

Hmmm!  "I feared the people and obeyed their voice."  Saul confessed that he was worried about what other people thought of him and what other people would say about him.  As a result, he made a horrible decision that was counter to what God wanted.

Too many people, even good Christians, are eaten up with worry over what other people think and say about them.  Let me tell you, the worst place to have your peace is in somebody else's head.  As Proverbs 29:25 says, The fear of man brings a snare.

Saul is a perfect example.  He never fulfilled his destiny, he never fulfilled his purpose in life, because he was too worried about what people thought about him even though God chose him to be king.

Someone wisely said this:

"It is not what I think I am that molds me and drives me, and it is not what you think I am that molds me and drives me.  It is what I think that you think I am that molds me and drives me."

Is that your concern today?  If so, let me give you some advice:  Be yourself.  You were created by God as an original, and it would be a shame if you died a copy.



Visit the Answers with Bayless Conley website for more ways to Connect with God 


Click here to view today's Answers with Bayless Conley broadcast at LightSource.com.


I Shall Not Want

 

This contemplative song by Audrey Assad 
from her "Fortunate Fall" 
album seemed suited for a rainy day. 
Yes, Lord, deliver me from my wants. 
Your goodness is enough.

The lyrics:
From the love of my own comfort
From the fear of having nothing
From a life of worldly passions
Deliver me O God

From the need to be understood
From the need to be accepted
From the fear of being lonely
Deliver me O God
Deliver me O God

And I shall not want, I shall not want
when I taste Your goodness I shall not want
when I taste Your goodness I shall not want

From the fear of serving others
From the fear of death or trial
From the fear of humility
Deliver me O God
Deliver me O God

No comments: