Loving Truth



Loving Truth

by Mary E. DeMuth

"The perpetual delusion of humanity is thinking we are better off hiding than confessing, avoiding rather than facing, clinging to our sickness instead of taking the remedy that's freely given and readily available." -Mark Buchanan

I love that Jesus said "I tell you the truth" 78 times in Scripture. Everywhere He went, He spoke truth, and as He did so, He set people free. Satan is the antithesis of truth. He delights when we live a lie, speak a lie, or live in a family of lies. Lying is the native language of Satan's kingdom, so telling the truth is a subversive act. It deals a decisive blow to the enemy of our souls. Honesty is spiritual warfare. It advances the Kingdom of God because it sets people free. "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free...So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed" (John 8:32,36 NIV).

I've listened to lies. Have you? I've taken them into my soul, nursed them, cemented them into my heart until they became like truth to me. But those words were not true. Words like:
  • God is constantly disappointed in me and therefore can't really love me.
  • I am not worthy to take up space on this earth.
  • I deserve abandonment and harsh treatment from myself and others.
  • My protection and safety are solely up to me.
See how destructive these four sentences are? By believing them, I can conclude that God doesn't love me; I am worthless; I deserve what I get; I have to be vigilant to protect myself. Thankfully, I have a dear friend, D'Ann, who saw the power of these lies in my life. She took me out to lunch one week and told me her story of believing lies and how she learned to overcome those lies. "I did it through Scripture," she said. Then she handed me a bound notebook of 3x5 cards. "I want you to identify the lies in your life, then dig through Scripture to find the truth."

The journey toward truth has been life-changing for me. I've come to taste freedom for the first time in many years, all through the power of truth and Scripture.

To combat the lie that God can't really love me, I read, "Don't be afraid...for you are very precious to God. Peace! Be encouraged! Be strong!" (Daniel 10:19). I remember the words of Romans 8 where I realize nothing can separate me from His love. To counteract the unworthiness I feel, I run to Psalm 139 where I remember God created me, is thinking of me, and walks before and behind me. When I feel I deserve harsh treatment, I remember "You can be sure of this: The Lord set apart to God before himself. The Lord will answer when I call to him" (Psalm 4:3) and "Even if my father and mother abandoned me, the Lord will hold me close" (Psalm 27:10). When I believe I'm the only one who can protect me, I reread "But You, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the One who lifts my head. I was crying to the Lord with my voice, and He answered me from His holy mountain. I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the Lord sustains me. I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people who have set themselves against me round about" (Psalm 3:3-6 NASB). Or "The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord hold them by the hand" (Psalm 37:23-24).

Combating lies with the truth of God's word has changed me. It has empowered me to live a more victorious, confident life-- something I'm sure makes the enemy angry. I've learned the joy of sharing my heart with others, experiencing the beauty of God's grace through the comforting words of friends. In that, I've been on a journey of freedom toward a heart no longer condemns.

But this is not merely my journey to cultivate the holy habit of authenticity. You can experience this joy too. You can be freed from whatever it is you're keeping secret. You can be freed from a heart that constantly condemns you. Consider this verse: "This then is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in His presence: If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and He knows everything. Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God" (1 John 3:19-21 NIV).

What would it look like if you had a confident heart like that? And how would that confidence help you in your daily battles against the enemy and sin? It's something to consider, to weigh. The freedom that comes from an authentic faith will revolutionize a warrior woman's life.


Adapted from Beautiful Battle: A Woman's Guide To Spiritual Warfare. Copyright © 2012 by Mary E. DeMuth by Mary E. DeMuth. Published by Harvest House Publishers. Used by permission.




Beth Moore: Seeing Danger


No comments: