A Grandfather's Challenge

A Grandfather's Challenge
By Jeanne Rogers


"We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God hasfreely given us. This is what we speak, not in words taught usby human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words." 1 Corinthians 2:12-13


The grandfather's eyes filled with tears as he looked around the circle of children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. They had all gathered for their holiday meal and gift exchange. The rest of their evening focused on their traditional sharing of the year's blessings and their hope for the New Year.


He remembered a time when he would have depended on his wife to speak for him, but he was a changed man now. When it was his turn, he leaned forward and spoke confidently. "I wasted so many years as a Christian. I wish that I had known what I know now, so late in my life. I was saved, but I didn't read God's Word. I didn't think I could understand it because I'd only had schooling up to the eighth grade. Now the Lord talks to me as I read. He helps me see truth that He wants me to know."


He made eye contact with each family member as he continued. "God wants to talk to us. The conversations I have with Him have changed my life. Everyday I read His Word and ask Him questions. I wait before Him, meditate on a verse, and then we talk about how it relates to life. I am praying for you to discover the wisdom He wants you to have.the secrets and mysteries on His mind. Don't miss this special relationship with Him. It is the only way you are going to know His peace that can guard your heart for the future."


There was an awkward moment of silence when he finished, but he trusted God to use his testimony to affect the lives of his family. He had faith that if they chose to study God's word and hide it in their hearts, the Holy Spirit would disclose to them the mind of Christ.


Knowing Jesus brings our souls into union with God, making us alive in Christ. He is present within us, so we can practice His presence daily. Jesus said, "All that belongs to the father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you." (John 16:15)


Paul said, "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. The Holy Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. He reveals the nature and will of God. We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us." (1 Corinthians 2:9-10, 12)
The story of the grandfather is true -- he is my father. The transformation he experienced didn't happen until he was in his seventies. Our family watched a shy, quiet man, who attended church with his wife on Sunday, become a strong spiritual leader who looks for opportunities to share his faith.


My father experienced the truth that Paul revealed in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 when he wrote, "There is nothing like the written Word of God for showing you the way to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another-showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God's way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us."


For years, he kept emotions locked tightly, but as a grandfather he expresses genuine love and frequently weeps as he talks. He loves to discuss God's word. The Godly character and fruit of the Spirit he exhibits is the evidence that he has become a partaker of God's divine nature. (2 Peter 1:4)


This Week Will you accept the challenge of a grandfather who believed what God said and gained not only personal intimacy with God but also a renewed mind with Godly insight?

*
Prayer:
"Lord, I want the new life You gave this man. I want the joy of intimate fellowship with You and the fruit of Your Spirit. I believe that I can have Your mind in me as I hide Your Word in my heart."

"A Grandfather's Challenge" is from "Words of Life" Weekly Devotional. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from James and Betty Robison and all the staff of LIFE Outreach International.

Christmastime - Michael W. Smith



The miracles of Jesus were the ordinary works of his Father, wrought small and swift that we might take them in." George MacDonald

"Let love be your guide. Christ loved us and offered his life for us as a sacrifice that pleases God." Ephesians 5:2

"The distinguishing mark of a Christian is his confidence in the love of Christ, and the yielding of his affections to Christ in return." Charles Haddon Spurgeon


"This was the purpose of the appearing of the Son of God, to undo the work of the devil." 1 John 3:8

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, it's me, Vicki from over at My Favorite Things. I haven't commented lately because I'm here in Kentucky visiting my Mom and sibs...I see that you have been busy posting away...Adrian Rogers ~ Love Worth Finding, Max Lucado, Dr. Charles Stanley...all my favorites!! I haven't had a chance to read all that I've missed but I did read this one and wanted to say that I only wish all grandfathers/fathers were able to come to the same realization. With divorce on the rise and drugs rampant in our society, children do not even know what a real "father" is!! I've been visiting with my family for almost 2 weeks now and I have seen many things that have saddened me. Drugs have such a hold on a few of my neices and nephews and fathers are absent in many families ~ it breaks my heart to see it. Since I do not live close I am not always aware of what trials my relatives go through. My eyes have been opened to much and I pray for God's direction as to how I may be of help. Your postings give me encouragement to remain faithful in my love for my Savior and seek ways to comfort and encourage my own family in these troubling times.
Much Christian love to you...I look forward to catching up on your postings that I have missed. Please take care and again thanks!!

May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face shine upon us Psalm 67:1